Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stuff and Glossy Ibis, and a new enlightened attitude



Having messed around with life threatening strokes and now facing a salt free life style,as I look at this platter of freshly picked tomatoes, and a shaker of Mrs Sasquatch salt substitute SWMBO stuck in front of me. God those Tomatoes deserve a sprinkle of Kosher Salt not feed store bin dregs to enhance their flavour , with just one drop of real Malt vinegar, god just one drop, I promise never to touch salt ever again....
I decided that I would adopt a new attitude.
If I find a rare bird and I get a valid picture of it. I am simply going to photocopy the relevant page from whomevers book, staple it to the picture and mail it in to the rarities committee.
Why , you ask ?
Well the judgers of your record are all legends (in their own minds) of birding and continue to bolster their reputation by repackaging each others information. Especially with the current run around of pointless bathroom browsing picture books, sorry photo guides. They carefully dissect each others books and grab a bit here and a bit there and before you know it Jon Dunn has another book !I especially love the Birds of Western America/ Eastern America concept. Conveniently leaving out birds of confusion, so you have to buy both ! Why the Hell should I write any God damn description other than Photographed Blythe July 27. Attached you will find the published information this id was based on. If the bird does not match your description, then if you reject it,I suggest you modify your learned tome, to prevent reasonable folks from screwing up in the future.Lets start with the bottom pic first. Go to Page 65 of the Dunn driven nat geo Third edition. This pic was taken in late July 2006.I am calling this a 1st Fall Glossy Ibis. Or I want those pictures removed from that Jon Dunn meal ticket. Simple attempt to clean up "THE BOOKS" from "THOSE WHO KNOW" after all if they can not admit they are wrong how will we the peasents ever know? Remember they make their living based on our bucks and belief in their knowledge, skills and observations. KInda bird bible writers.
The top picture , simple logic.
Took that yesterday Friday, long , long range.
Now the one in the middle is different from the 2 others. Agreed ?
You know , red eyes , white face feathers and pink face above and below, as opposed to brown eye blue face and white skin lining making it to half way thru the eye in the middle.
Now a phone called revealed that none of the N Breeding Western Ibis have produced flying young, especially as the adults have in the majority have not got as far as their nesting grounds.Late May/June all plegadis are moulted into breeding plumage. Multiple sources. Even Wethersbys Birds of Britain, realised that.
So I now have 2 Glossy Ibii to add to the CA list.
This is going to be a hard sell
Absolutely NO NO NO migrants.
Have a fun weekend.roger et al

9 comments:

  1. My Malt Vinegar has no Sodium, no fat, no carbs, no protein and no calories!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many of you know this, and I wish I had a better way to share the information, but Roger passed away suddenly last week, after suffering a massive stroke.
    His wake will be held in June.
    His wife would like to sell his bird books.
    I have been composing a memorial to him in my head since I found out on Friday, and can't get myself to sit down to write it out.
    Tom Miko (213) 923-3944

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as this blog stays on the net - I can revisit and rekindle memories of my "big brother".

    Gone but never forgotten.

    When I heard the news I rounded up my two terriers and went birding - where have we read that before??

    Cheers,

    Paul Higson
    Orkney
    UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger was one of those rare gems or bains, depending on your POV, posting on Inland County Birds that kept me following and yearning for more with his blunt, take no prisoners, down-to-earth approach to birding & other aspects of mundane life, all of which kept me laughing, grimacing (in a good way) and yearning for more over the past couple years. Then, in January 24, 2009, Roger made that defiant leap from Inland County Birds to launching his very own blog for reasons all very well known to members of that group. He said back then, "I am doing this as I am now master of my own destiny."

    With those famous first words, Roger (unbeknownst to him) gave me a metaphorical kick in the butt, like he probably had done to many of his fortunate (and I really mean that) students, and I was actually inspired to start blogging meself.

    Roger, I really, really regret that I never met you or had the courage to actually post a comment to you - sad result of my childhood fear of curmudgeony teachers. But, I hope you will go on some kick ass birding expeditions into the good night. In the meantime, I'll probably miss you more than just a tad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Evil Man, who's dark side finally caught up with him. No tears will be shed here. His slanderious ways will not be missed, his borish humor was never wanted. Burn in Hell you son of a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got $100 that says the anonymous author of the above nastiness is The Village Idiot of San Diego. Who else would attack a dead man?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to read this. I'm a fellow brit living in San Diego and have followed this blog and his previous messages on a birding board for a long time and always on his side. I'm very sorry for your loss. Everytime I go past Blythe I think of him and the one day I might have met him. I'll miss his point of view and the birding reports from his patch.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bird!
    If you want to see more photos of birds, I share you my blog.

    https://avesdecordobayargentina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete